Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shrimp and Grits

If I could have one last meal before I died, this would be it!  I cannot begin to tell you how often I get asked for this recipe.  It is my most requested meal.  It is OH SO GOOD and super easy!!  My kids even love it.  You can spice it up even more if you like it spicier.  If it is just me and my husband eating I add a little more cajun seasoning and hot sauce.  If my kids are eating, I tone it down a little.  Hope you enjoy!!



Ingredients:

2 lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp paprika
1/4 butter or margarine
2 garlic cloves pressed
1 cup chicken broth, divided
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp all-purpose flour
Hot cooked grits (well seasoned)


Combine Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, and paprika; toss together seasoning mixture and shrimp. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add shrimp, 3/4 cup of broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon, reserve broth mixture in skillet. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and flour till well blended. Whisk flour mixture into broth mixture in skillet and cook whisking constantly, 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp and cook 1 minute. Serve immediately over grits.

How I cook my grits: (not low fat, haha)

3 cups of heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 stick of butter

Heat until it comes to a boil. Add 1 cup of grits and turn to low stirring constantly. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Takes about 5-10 minutes. If grits get too thick add some more milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment